"A good story, no matter how modest, is a form of prayer."

-Lee Siegal

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Team Gale?


I gave my roommate a wry grin. We had been sitting silently on the train for about a minute. I could almost bubble over with pride for my rare pop culture reference.

"Team Peeta or Team Gale?" I asked referring to the potential love interests in The Hunger Games.

"Team Gale," My roommate stated.

"Why?"

"He's more down to earth,"

We looked at the man across from us on the subway. We looked back at each other.

"I think I'm gonna have to be Team Peeta then. Because you're Team Gale." I tell her. "But no," I backpedal--"I like both of them! In this website I saw advertised on Facebook, there was Gale with his shirt off and Peeta in a shirt and tie. I like my men both ways!"

"But not with just a shirt--no tie. Then it's a no go." she shakes her head.

I concur.

"But Peeta bakes bread. And there's like this much" (she makes a small gesture the size of a paragraph with her right hand) "about Gale."

"Peeta's kind," I observe. "They're both kind." I correct myself.

Unlike anything in Twilight, I think. And she's right with me.

"Much better than Twilight," my roommate says.

"Yeah!" I agree, "Then it's like do you want the white guy or the brown guy. Both are abusive. It's just like, do you want rough sex like diamonds or rough sex like claws and teeth!" I gesture the claws and teeth.

I grin.

"You know which one I choose."