"A good story, no matter how modest, is a form of prayer."

-Lee Siegal

Monday, December 4, 2017

Mr. PacMan

           In the trove of my memories from before I could write, I remember playing PacMan at Burger Depot, a burger joint in Albany my mother would take me to. One night, I remember recognizing that what I was doing with the controls was not effecting the adventures of PacMan. “Mommy, the game isn’t working,” I told my mother.
            “That’s because you need to pay,” she told me.
            “Can you pay?” I asked.
            “No,” she told me, “You can play like that.”
            I went back to the Mr. PacMan arcade and used the joystick again. I was so good at this before. What had happened between when I was playing it before and now that I now sucked at it? My father was not a fan of games (“for people who lacked the ability to have an intelligent conversation”) and my mother was not a supporter of screen-based entertainment. I do not believe they ever put in the quarters it would have taken to link what I was doing with the controls to what I was watching on the screen. Then it took me by surprise: I must have thought that just because the game was moving that I was playing it. Now I knew the rules. And I knew that I had no control.
                       
            Other nights, I still went back and watched the Mr. PacMan game, sometimes desperately shifting the joystick and rejoicing when, like a broken clock that is always right twice a day, Mr. PacMan’s motion matched my guidance. However, I grew to know that no, I did not control how many circles he ate or when he got eaten by an even bigger blob.

             I think of my mother’s brain tumor as Mr. PacMan. I never experienced the joy of mastering the connection between your hand and a joystick and what you see on the screen neither with Mr. PacMan nor with any other game. Incidentally, this skill is one that the human brain’s temporal lobe masters. My mother’s Mr. PacMan took her right temporal lobe and her right hippocampus with her last late September when she had brain surgery. Like with almost all surgeries with the goal of removing a brain tumor, some of the tumor remains behind. This August, Mr. PackMan stopped responding to the chemo appetite suppressants that my mother had been taking and grew back a blood intake system and a blood pooping system. Three weeks ago, an emergency MRI showed that Mr. PacMan had been eating more of my mother’s brain and had gained weight. The behavior that my mother had exhibited had led me to bringing her into the ER in the first place.

-->
            Now I see her every day. Every day I have been noticing more and more that Mr. PacMan has eaten. She’s got almost no visual processing now; her aural processing makes the speaker work a lot. Mr. PacMan is fucking hungry, and there’s no way anybody’s going to give me a few quarters to be able to control the joysticks.