"A good story, no matter how modest, is a form of prayer."

-Lee Siegal

Saturday, January 20, 2007

The First Class

The first class reminded me of summer camp. Not the kind of summer camp with counselers and cabins and s'mores but the summer camp I went to: Shakespeare Camp. We would always get in circles and break text down, image by image, foot by foot. Like we started to do in class.

I came into class late and entered a dark room. I usually do not go into dark classrooms but this class's number matched the number printed on my schedule so I did. The video got my attention (obviously, it was the only light thing in the room!) but after a while I had to look away. It is impossible for me to stare at something that is not moving (essentially) for more than a minute.

If I look at somebody for a long time, I look at different aspects of her; my eye moves over, around. In the film, there was no place for my eye to go but the straight forward view. I found it frustrating. It was really unnatural because even if we are thinking to ourselves, our faces connect with our thoughts, that is, they react to them; we will look around, we will gesture. The film got my attention but it also drew my attention away from the screen. It drew my attention into the darkness around me.

No comments: